[Talk-us] Turn restriction dispute

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Feb 8 20:58:16 GMT 2013

NE2 is going on the "World according to NE2" bender again, need a ruling on
this relation before I revert:

Turn in question is southbound World Drive at Buena Vista Drive in Orlando,
http://binged.it/128OlwZ.  Despite left turn only markings on the
southbound approach and a flush median gore preventing a straight-on
movement, NE2 is of the opinion, and removed the relation, on the excuse
that "Anyway, I've deleted the turn restriction, since I cannot recall
having seen any signs prohibiting the movement, and you have not seen any
such signs because you have not been there." Never mind that the left turn
only sign is clearly marked on the pavement. He questioned the legal
standing of the marking since it omits "ONLY," despite the fact that
section 4.2.1 of the Florida Traffic Engineering Manual requires ONLY to be
omitted in situations such as the ramp in question (a straight/left arrow
would be required for a through-or-left-turn lane).

Who's right?