[Talk-us] Turn restriction dispute

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 15:53:45 GMT 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Michal Migurski <mike at teczno.com> wrote:
> I don't agree. NE2’s edits, most of all the route relations, are enormously valuable to OSM in the US. I'm not aware of any precedent for banning a user like this, and I'm not eager to see one set.

Mike,

Your information on NE2 is grossly inaccurate.

NE2 makes very few positive edits, and many, many destructive ones, as
well as previous threats to make more edits that conform with his (and
only his) vision of the world.

I realize that from a numerical standpoint, it may seem like he is a
positive contributor, but this is due to our general acceptance of
people even in the face of disagreement. But in NE2's case, he is a
bully, and having a bully does not serve the community well.

Regarding precedent, this would not be the first person that the OSMF
has had to take action on. Others have been banned, but NE2's
particular brand of edit has always ridden the line, as he's not
explicitly doing anything illegal (ie not copyright violation). But
OSM is not his personal playground, and his view that this project is
his sandbox to impose his will on (reality and community consensus be
damned) is just unacceptable.

It's understandable that if you are not familiar with NE2's behavior
first hand, that you would see this as a a misunderstanding, but NE2's
behavior has been damaging to the project for so long that we simply
have no choice but to take actions to protect the project's
cohesiveness.

- Serge