[Talk-us] ref tags

Clay Smalley claysmalley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:45:13 GMT 2013

The "SR" and "SH" designations were mostly put in by NE2, IIRC. Go figure.

I'm personally okay with this mass edit, but expect a lot of hate mail from
NE2.
On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> Someone with local knowledge might want to look over the ref=* tags in
> Florida, a lot seem to be missing the context that let you know what
network
> they're a part of.

I'd actually been kicking around proposing a bulk edit of ref=* tags
to conform them with the quasi-standard of "two-letter USPS state
prefix + space + route number (+ one-char suffix)?(+ space + any long
modifiers)" but didn't want things to devolve into a pissing match.
Since Mapquest seems to need ref tags to include the proper state
shield, and this standard is valid, even if alternative styles might
also be valid including the USPS prefix would seem to help.
Personally I'd prefer downstream consumers like MQ just use the
relations, like on the shield renderer at
http://elrond.aperiodic.net/shields/ (they also can encode proper
directional information, which would be very useful if OSRM understood
route relations) but baby steps.

The only drawback I can see is that many of the route numbers in
Georgia would disappear from the default Mapnik style, due to GDOT's
insistence on cosigning virtually every US-designated highway with a
visible state designation, which would make the shields too big to
render.  But this problem wouldn't affect most of the states where the
bare number and "SR" plague has set in.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lordsutch at gmail.com>