[Talk-us] ref tags

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Feb 13 08:59:51 GMT 2013

Thank you, Paul:  not only do I stand corrected, I am glad to be
corrected (improved, really) in this way.  (I did know, in fact, the
number to be greater than "fifty something.")  I only "planted the
seed," and you more fully grew the tree of this particular truth.  I,
too, am not sure of a more accurate number, only that it is somewhere
between "fifty something" and "200+."

Native reservations still seem to be a not-completely-settled issue
as to admin_level value, I do wish the OSM community could reach more
harmonious agreement here.  Discussions like this, which really only
scratch surfaces, are a good start.

I see persuasive arguments for either admin_level=1 (for the
US-Canada border stragglers?) or 3 for most or all of these regions.
Perhaps an OSM wiki discussion can be started, continued or
resurrected.  Or maybe a new thread.  A new thread should change
Subject away from "ref tags."  Also, talk-us may or may not be a
correct forum for this discussion.

I did recently (Volume 62, Issue 1) start a discussion in talk-us
about admin_level which turned into contributions in the wiki page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_admin_level, which
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Minh_Nguyen cleaned up by
"drawing off" further discussion to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:United_States_admin_level#admin_level.3D5_proposal
(thank you Minh).  That (or a new section in it) may be an
appropriate place to continue a discussion of native reservations in
the US being assigned an admin_level of 1, 3 or some other value.  Or
even something else we may agree to do.

SteveA
California