[Talk-us] parcel boundaries and associated data in OSM

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 21:55:56 GMT 2013

+1 for a GIS clearinghouse with sources and possibly also used to
facilitate attributing source data.

My personal opinion is OSM REALLY needs some sort of layer support.  There
are probably several ways to do it.

I think the best would be multiple databases (and organizations?) for
housing the other GIS data that is only fringe stuff for OSM's main
concerns.  Especially stuff that did not need a direct tie to other OSM
point/line/relation features.

Buildings, nautical markings, parcel data, airplane markings, power and
other utilities are all candidates to be housed separately.

This requires modifications to the existing tools, possibly large ones.
Editors and renderers could then select what data to work with, and show
with each other.  Downside is managing the data goes to the right
layer/database and preventing duplicates.

Dale Puch