[Talk-us] USFS Wilderness data, import with a "lenient transformation?"

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu Feb 21 22:51:12 UTC 2013

An update:  after some cursory examination of just the sort I am
proposing (USFS data imported from shapefile WITH a "potentially
noisy" transformation with superimposed USGS data), I find very high
data correlation.  The largest errors I am able to see (for the small
subset of data I have visually examined like this) are 2 to 3 meters
at most -- these following range/meridian/township lines.  Boundaries
which follow creeks or parallel existing, uploaded roads are
essentially spot-on, or maybe centimeter-level errors at worst.

So, "off by a kilometer" may be true as a POTENTIAL error in this
transformation, but from what I see, any error is much less than 1%
of this.  I am comfortable with this quite low level of noise in
these data potentially imported into OSM using this transformation.
I will, however, continue to both solicit opinion here and examine
more data, especially at edge latitudes where the transformation may
be more problematic.

SteveA
California