[Talk-us] USFS Wilderness data, import with a "lenient transformation?"

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu Feb 21 23:19:14 UTC 2013

John Novak writes:

>Hi Steve,
>
>Have you tried ogr2ogr, going shape to shape with
>a GCS_North_American_1983 and WGS84 source transform to epsg:900913
>or epsg:4326 as a target ?
>
>Then you'll at least be in the right coordinate system.

Hi John:

Yes, I am now examining maybe something like:

ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" -t_srs EPSG:4326 wilderness_wgs.shp
wilderness_nad83.shp

via
<http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html>http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html
and if I can get that to work, well, it's all gravy from there.

If you can offer different or better command-line flags, I'd be happy
to hear them.

Thanks for the suggestion, you were not the first (big thanks to
j03lar50n, who also suggested the link to the original USFS data,
just published barely two weeks ago).

Great discussion so far.  It is amazing what just a handful of
collaborators can make happen in OSM!

SteveA
California