[Talk-us] Civil War Mapping

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Feb 21 23:10:44 UTC 2013

i sent this out earlier today on conventional social  networks, but i
know a lot of you probably
don't participate in them...

a year or so backSteve Coast
<https://www.facebook.com/SteveCoast?group_id=171170822943323>called for
some Civil War related mapping. i'm not sure how much has
really happened (not nearly enough, i think), but i'm here in Northern
VA visiting Chancellorsville and
The Wilderness, and so i give you the First Day at Chancellorsville Trail:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.29712748527527&lon=-77.59817361831665&zoom=16
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.29712748527527&lon=-77.59817361831665&zoom=16>

and as an added bonus, a modern approximation of the route of Jackson's
Flank March on the second day:

<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openstreetmap.org%2Fbrowse%2Frelation%2F2776036&h=xAQH1s3NZAQHzoFwS0YyW2QKNzfAh8ZrMV1ZELGV7c3J84Q&s=1>

this latter is a signed NPS route, not just something i made up on my
own, and the location of the roads
hasn't shifted much since 1863, so it's pretty close to where Jackson's
troops actually marched that day...

i spent some time at the Wilderness Battlefield today, so there's more
to come. i may well
spend a day at Spotsylvania before we leave on Sunday. lots to map here.
somebody local
might have a very productive time if they enjoy walking tails.

richard