[Talk-us] Possible coping from Google Maps

Rick Marshall rick.marshall at verticalgeo.com
Thu Feb 21 21:04:50 UTC 2013

I mistakenly sent this to Greg and not the entire list.  So, I'll
retry it again:

Hello all.  I am still fairly new to OSM, so I don't know all the ins
and outs.  But I have to ask a question.  Other than Google Mapmaker
is there any other ways that Google's data gets updated?  I recently
made several updates of walking trails in a local park here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.58835&lon=-89.88472&zoom=16&layers=M

And I just noticed the other day that the same updates I made to the
trail system (including the names) within OpenStreetMap showed up in
Google Maps:

 http://goo.gl/maps/mJJMs

Does Google import any data from OSM?  How do we know the data that is
subject to this post was in Google Maps first?

Take care and have a great week.

Rick Marshall

--
Rick Marshall, PhD, GISP