[Talk-us] parcel data next steps

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 17:04:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Alex Barth <alex at mapbox.com> wrote:

> Interesting. How does parcel data work? What does it cover and what's the
> data interesting for OSM in it? Is this about sourcing address data?

Parcel data is interesting to OSM because it usually has addressing
information. It's interesting to the rest of the world for many other
reasons. Sometimes it includes landuse information (commercial,
residential, etc.), tax and ownership information, building age or other
historical information, etc. Since a large chunk of municipalities have
this stuff digitized and their state's have open records laws it's just a
matter of spending time to collect it all. In some cases it's free and
online, sometimes they will burn a CD for you and charge you for their
time, other times it's not online and you have to go to the county's GIS
office to pick it up.

Google started doing this a while back. When you zoom all the way in to a
city and see land ownership lines alone streets chances are the parcel
information is available in a digital format somehow -- we just have to get
it.