[Talk-us] Civil War Mapping

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Fri Feb 22 18:19:02 UTC 2013

Richard,

         I have been doing that in Southwestern parks that I have
visited recently (Mesa Verde, Malpais Notional Monument).
         Usually I do the foot trails in the conventional manner,
usually with a name, such as "Far View House Trail." For each point
of interest, I tag it as "archaeological" (that's what's there in
Mesa Verde) and give a name ("Far View House Great Kiva"). I have not
used sign numbers because, so far, there haven't been any. But, at
Mesa Verde I haven't done some of the real popular ones, such as
Cliff Palace, where there might, indeed, be numbered stops. Oh, and
trails to sights in Mesa Verde and other Southwestern parks sometimes
can be longer, like half a mile to a mile. There's usually a pull-off
with substantial parking.
         As for using "ref," that changes the nature of that tag. Now
we use "ref" to give the same identification to multiple pieces of a
way, not to give different identities to pieces of a way. I think it
might be better to include the number of each stop in the name, but
I'm certainly open to suggestion.

Charlotte

At 07:49 AM 2/22/2013, you wrote:
>[the following includes a message that Adam cc'd to the list that
>probably got into the moderator queue]
>

>On 2/22/13 9:03 AM, Adam Schreiber wrote:
>>On 2/21/13, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
>>>i look forward to it. is there any particular mapping task i should look
>>>for at Spotsylvania?
>>Last spring and summer, the Spotsylvania Battlefield was redoing a lot
>>of their informational signs.  The signs were there, but the
>>information plate was removed.  Some are on the map with labels and
>>some without.  I think most that didn't have the info plate weren't
>>mapped.  There's also a trail that cuts through the woods from the
>>road bend parking at the Mule Shoe Salient to a spring house and some
>>ruins that used to be closed.  I also haven't mapped any of the signed
>>driving routes outside of the park.
>i'll look at the unmapped signs.
>
>also, on a related note, does anyone have any thoughts about good ways
>to mark tour stops with existing tags? i'm thinking ref for the actual stop
>number, but what in the tourism category would work for the general area
>of the stop? usually there's a small parking area or pulloff, a couple of
>informational signs, and frequently a trail of some sort, sometimes as long
>as 1/4 mile or so (longer trails are generally point-to-point and not really
>part of the stop.)
>
>do we need a site relation of some sort, a bag to contain all the bits that
>combine to form the stop?
>
>richard

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that
would affect the first three freedoms.