[Talk-us] parcel data next steps

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Feb 22 21:57:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Brian Cavagnolo <bcavagnolo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding the data gathering, the main objective is to gather recent
> raw data, licensing terms, and meta data from jurisdictions in
> whatever form they make it available, organize it in a dumb directory
> structure.  I was just going to set up an FTP (read-write)  and HTTP
> (read-only) server to get this going.  Are there any
> recommendations/opinions on a longer-term approach here?  Custom
> webapp?  Off-the-shelf webapp?  Somebody mentioned a git repository.
>
> Regarding standardization/import, I was planning on setting up an
> empty instance of the rails port as a test bed.  Then participating
> users could point JOSM and other tools at this alternative rails port
> to examine, edit, and import parcel data.  We could also provide
> planet-style dumps and mapnik tiles.  The idea is that we would have a
> safe place to screw up and learn.  Does this sound like a reasonable
> direction?

Rather than an "open" rails port that anyone can point JOSM at and
edit, I'd suggest something different.  The rails port would be
read-only, so that end-users could use it as a read-only layer in
JOSM, or used to render tiles, etc.

The only way for data to get into the rails port would to be imported
from the original source files provided by the respective
jurisdictions.  We'd need to develop software that could handle the
imports, hopefully in an incremental fashion so that as updates are
made available you wouldn't have to rebuild the entire database.

--
Jeff Ollie