[Talk-us] TopOSM 2

Lars Ahlzen lars at ahlzen.com
Mon Feb 25 00:28:08 UTC 2013

Hi all!

Since Ian Dees recently brought up the OSM-US servers, I thought I'd
mention that I'm reviving my old TopOSM project which - for those who
haven't seen it - is a US-wide topo map using OSM data [1]. This time
it's updated with carto styling, tilestache compositing and support for
on-the-fly rendering.

Ian already helped me set up a small demo:

http://www.openstreetmap.us/~lahlzen/toposm2.html
<http://www.openstreetmap.us/%7Elahlzen/toposm2.html>

It's a little rough around the edges and still missing many features,
but I think it could become useful. I was playing with the idea of
eventually offering this as a US-specific map layer on the OSM-US
server. Does this sound like a good idea?

Besides the cartography, a fair amount of performance work will be
needed to make this render fast enough. If anyone is up for a challenge,
feel free to join in!

The code is on github:

https://github.com/Ahlzen/TopOSM2

- Lars

[1] Mostly, anyway. It's using NED to generate hillshading and contours,
and NHD for most hydrographic features (though the latter may eventually
switch back to OSM).