[Talk-us] Possible coping from Google Maps

James Mast rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 25 00:33:37 UTC 2013

 > Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 09:18:54 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Possible coping from Google Maps
> From: osm at inbox.org
> To: talk-us at openstreetmap.org
>
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM, James Mast <rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Just got a message back from him and it confirmed my worst fears.  He openly
> > admitted to me he used Google Maps to aid him adding the interchange to OSM.
> > :(
> >
> > "Mostly I eyeballed it from Google satellite view with roads turned on.
> > There are enough recognizable buildings & such that I could translate to a
> > Bing background."
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm now reporting him to the OSMF. :(
>
> Why?  Is there something wrong with what he did?
Um, yes.  He based his adding the interchange based off what Google has on their map/imagery.  Bing, and no other legal imagery shows the interchange even under-construction yet.  So, do you want Google to come in suing?  If he did this based off memory from what he saw in the field, and not Google sources, there wouldn't be any problems. -James