[Talk-us] Wilderness Data

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 04:33:40 UTC 2013

Hi Steve

Thanks for the good work. I'm also interested in mapping wilderness and wildlife reserves. Started off myself after visiting Dolly Sods Wilderness last year.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mikelmaron/diary/17544

I was curious to see how the USFS data compared to what's already in OSM. I downloaded the entire wilderness shapefile, removed everything but Dolly Sods using QGIS, and reprojected to 4326; then loaded the shapefile in JOSM (thanks for prompting me to look at the OpenData plugin), and downloaded the reserve boundary from OSM.

The boundaries are pretty similar, but differ in a few points, no more than 10 meters. Some sections from the USFS have much higher fidelity (ie more nodes). It seems clear that there are two different sources for the boundary out there, and I'm not sure which one was used in 2012 when Dolly Sods was added (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/175643411/history). Will send a message to that editor inquiring.

A question on tags. Why is boundary=national_park suggested in the wiki on the USFS page? I've used boundary=protected_area for Dolly Sods.

You're probably aware of the NPS use of OSM. If not definitely check out what they're doing.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mikelmaron/diary/18529

Just had a thought.
Wouldn't it be amazing to map/visualize/analyse every single park, recreation area, preserves and reserves in the US? From National Parks, down to neighborhood dog runs.
How are possibilities like this managed on OSM US tile servers?

Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron