[Talk-us] Reversible lanes

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Feb 26 07:04:28 UTC 2013

I'm looking into center turn lanes and reversible lanes and such oddities, and am slowly but surely submerging into the quicksand that is the wiki. There are many proposals and pages dedicated to lanes in general an reversible lanes in particular, in varying stages of completion:

On reversible (express) lanes:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Reversible_Lanes
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/two_way_lane

On lanes in general:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lanes
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dlane

On suicide lanes:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:centre_turn_lane
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Turn_Lanes

Anyone who can parse all that info into one consistent lane tagging scheme that also covers the two things I would really want to have a convenient, *usable* tagging scheme for, will receive two 90+ proof drinks or a deep fried snack of his/her choice at the upcoming SOTM US.

So can we come up with a proposal that works for us? I am not after some complex schema that works everywhere but is too complex to use for 95% of mappers. Just something like:

* Center turn lane: tag way with center_turn_lane=yes/true/1 (example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/172683358)
* Reversible Express Lane: highway=motorway, oneway=reversible, lanes=*, forward=Mo-Fr 00:00-10:00, reverse=Mo-Fr 11:00-00:00 (example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/13517026 source: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Northwest/King/ExpressLanes/I5map.htm)

What do you say?
--
Martijn van Exel