[Talk-us] Anyone ever talked about adding more Land Ownership data to OSM?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 01:01:58 GMT 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Nathan Mixter <nmixter at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be awesome to include the land ownership data from BLM especially
> if we could do it for the whole US. Unfortunately that is probably not
> something that people would want to add because of the conflicts with other
> data. I wonder if we could include it on a limited basis or only include
> certain features.

We just had this conversation a couple threads ago. This sort of land
ownership border doesn't really belong in OSM because we can't improve it.
It's already in OSM because some people imported the BLM data so they could
see national park boundaries.

> As a hiker, I also think the data have value because it is important to
> know where you will get shot at if you cross over. On my Garmin Oregon, one
> of the layers I have draws in landuse boundaries so I know what is what. It
> is too bad we can't include something like this. Maybe it could be somehow
> included as a separate layer or transparent somehow so it does not affect
> other data.

The correct way to do this is to mix it into the dataset you use when
creating data for your Garmin Oregon. That way you get the most up-to-date
and correct information direct from the people that make the rules.