[Talk-us] Anyone ever talked about adding more Land Ownership data to OSM?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Jan 9 13:39:47 GMT 2013

Kevin Kenny <kkenny2 at nycap.rr.com> writes:

> On 01/09/2013 03:24 AM, Minh Nguyen wrote:
>
>> While filling in townships in the Greater Cincinnati area, I've also
>> been working on TIGER's rather artful interpretation of the area's
>> municipal boundaries, motivated by the Mapnik style's prominent
>> rendering of them. The boundaries are full of things like triangular
>> enclave artifacts and diagonal jogs right through residential lots.
>
> Around here, for municipal boundaries to cut diagonally through
> residential lots isn't uncommon. I once lived in a house where
> the front yard was in one township and the back yard in another.
> Two separate tax bills (although the second one was cheap because
> there were no improvements to that part of the lot).

Agreed - same here in Massachusetts, in part because some houses predate
the splitting off of neighboring towns.

As for improving the data, I have personally visited and made GPS
observations on all but one corner monument for my town.  My
observations compare very closely with the (surveyed) data from the
state, so I think the state data is more accurate.  But I have actually
checked it for blunders.