[Talk-us] [Imports] NOAA Imports

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Jan 10 01:13:43 GMT 2013

On 2013-01-09, at 7:38 PM, Sailor Jerry <sailorjerry at scmarinetech.com> wrote:

> Looks I like barged straight to the committee boat and now I need to do my 720 turns :-)
>
> Here is what I've done so far:
>
> 1) Reverted all my previous submissions ( see http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/14592984 )
> 2) Updated http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NOAA_ENC_Direct_to_GIS_Import#Data_Transformation_Results with the information I can scramble.
> 3) Posted the OSM file for the SF bay area for your review ( https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9P5wHCK7tHnTEpMMURnLXhaZG8 ).
>
> Would greatly appreciate your feedback.

I'm away from home, so this is only a partial response since I can't open the .osm file here.

What you are proposing is a combination of a bot and an import. This is unusual and it will likely take longer to do the required community consultation. Additionally you are proposing using some new software. I would expect the consultation to take a *minimum* of 2-4 weeks.

You are proposing to delete your import and reimport it regularly. Why are you not updating any changed objects?

How do you intend to handle when a user edits a point? Your current plan would create a new duplicate point.

You are writing new software that handles the upload to the API. What testing have you done against the dev API?

Additionally, although not critical to the import, you state that this import is for the "OpenSeaMap" database. OpenSeaMap is just one of many consumers of the OpenStreetMap database. There is no part of the DB that "belongs" to OpenSeaMap.