[Talk-us] matching external data to OSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jan 13 17:20:21 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 12.01.2013 19:05, Jason Remillard wrote:
> I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not, if yes, a pointer to
> the old thread would be much appreciated!

It hasn't been discussed in this form but it has been touched on in
several discussions revolving around "permanent IDs". See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Permanent_ID for a (very
basic) implementation.

In contrast to the approach you sketched, such "permanent ID" schemes
would usually find the best match for *one* input object (which could
conceivably be described by an input geometry too). If I understand you
correctly, you would be trying to match a set of, say, 1000 houses from
an external dataset to a selected region from OSM with the aim of having
as little average error as possible - which would be slighly different
from doing one-by-one searching.

Bye
Frederik