[Talk-us] Update on highway shield rendering

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 02:19:51 UTC 2013

For those interested in highway shields:

Phil, Ian and myself put some more time in on getting shields working on
the OSM-US server last week. We actually got things mostly working but did
run into a brick wall. Unfortunately postgres 8.4 doesn't support how the
image data is being handled. The fix is to upgrade to a newer version of
postgres however that is a slightly complicated matter. Ian is planning
some hardware upgrades for the server in the near future which will
alleviate some of the issues. So as of now we are waiting on the server
changes/upgrades to happen before we start rendering shields.

But the good news is I actually got an instance up and running on a VM I
have been using here at home. So it is definitely possible!

Toby