[Talk-us] Update on highway shield rendering

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Thu Jul 11 19:32:11 UTC 2013

* James Mast <rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com> [2013-07-11 14:02 -0400]:
> I know that there is a "US 1-9" in NJ, but this error is showing up in NC. ;)

Oh, wow.  That *is* a bug.

I've got to figure out how to handle it, but here's what's going on:

Those ways (take http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/111774444 as an
example) are members of three relations: NC Strategic Highway Corridor 34,
US 1, and US 1 Bypass.  (Like the other case that came up recently, I
question whether it's *really* both US 1 and US 1 Bypass.)  US 1 Bypass is
tagged as network=US:US, ref=1, modifier=Bypass, so the rendering treats
it as a duplicate of US 1.  The consolidation algorithm I wrote for US 1-9
is a little naive; it matches against "US 1" and "US 9" and if it gets two
matches, it substitutes in US 1-9.  The duplicate US 1 relations give it
two matches, so it does the substitution.

I'll have to think a bit about how I want to address this bug.