[Talk-us] Update on highway shield rendering

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 01:14:44 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:

> I do support US:GA:Connector, but I didn't have an entry for Connector
> 40.  (I do now.  :) ) I an effort to reduce the amount of time needed
> for shield generation, I tend to specify only the specific bannered
> routes I know about, either from personal experience, Wikipedia, or
> looking at OSM data.  I'm pondering a change to the bannering code
> that would handle most cases more dynamically (but not for Georgia,
> since they don't actually use banners for their bennered routes...).

FWIW recent GDOT installations seem to be using real banners for bannered
routes, either due to FHWA pressure or simply because the in-shield banners
are basically unreadable at highway speeds. I haven't seen any on guide
signs yet but examples on reassurance markers are popping up fairly
regularly.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lordsutch at gmail.com>