[Talk-us] Steady increase in the number of mappers in the US

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Jul 19 16:21:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> This doesn't have to wait for funding, or permission!  There are
> hundreds of OpenStreetMap "ambassadors" reading this list, right now.

Are you saying that you are satisfied with the number of active US mappers?
Really?

> 1) Start your local OpenStreetMap group.  Meet on a regular schedule.
> Monthly is best.  Make your goal, "be available to answer questions
> about OpenStreetMap".  Everything else is okay too.

We already have an active local group that meets regularly.  It currently
has over 125 members signed up.

> 2) Grow your local "ambassador team".  You don't have to do it all
> You don't have to do it alone.  Include people in your group who like
> to reach out to other groups.  Include people who like to speak at
> events.  Include people who can host at a venue.  Share the load.
> "Replace yourself" with assistant- and alternate-organizers to
> strengthen the local team.  But YOU have to start it.  Just do that
> much.
>
> 3) Connect with other nearby local groups to share and enjoy.  Drop in
> on Serge's group when you are in NYC.  Thank him for starting it!   Do
> the same when you travel to other places with local groups.  Welcome
> distant mappers when they visit your local area, too.

Great idea.

> "Ambassador Program"  Pah!  Just get on with it.  :-)

Sorry, I believe we need to think outside of our current box.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch