[Talk-us] Steady increase in the number of mappers in the US

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Jul 19 16:33:25 UTC 2013

Am 19.07.2013 12:06, schrieb Kathleen Danielson:
> Hi Clifford,
>
> Wow--thanks for sharing those stats! They are really interesting!
>
> I just took a look at the link you shared and it looks like we're
> seeing the number of mappers contributing on any given day. Do you
> know if it's possible to find the number of mappers contributing in a
> week or even month? That might give us a better sense of the "real"
> number of mappers in the US. (They would all still be relative to
> other countries, but it might give us a better indication of how we're
> doing. For example, when I first saw that 202 number, I was surprised
> at how low it was compared to SOTMUS attendance (380+), but knowing
> it's a daily tally makes far more sense.

Well yes it is possible, however is essentially boils down to analysing
a full history extract of the US, the changeset bounding boxes are just
too unreliable to be useful (further: such an analysis just counts
people who mapped in the US which is naturally a larger number than bona
fida US mappers). Anyway pre-licence change there were contributions
from roughly 24'000 mappers in the US extract.

To compare that with a random (:-)) other country: number of mappers
with contributions at the same point in time as above: 6500, daily
editors typically 50-60 (pop 8 million) so the ratio total mappers to
daily mappers is roughly the same.

Simon