[Talk-us] Shield rendering and detours; tagging nicknames?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Jul 19 23:57:57 UTC 2013

It helps that these are actually signposted as black-on-orange "DETOUR"
bannered routes.  The severely multiplexed and complicated situation this
creates causes passengers in my car to giggle when the Garmin announces
that you should make a movement following the detour routes, since it'll
say things like "Exit left to..." then rattle off all the refs and detour
refs, then the highway name.  Even with speed limits reduced to 30-45 MPH
on the freeway, it still takes just long enough that it's time to announce
the next turn as soon as it finishes rattling off one.  But it's better
than watching folks who don't have OpenStreetMap on their GPS...since it
won't be aware that all traffic is being squeezed through on what is
normally the westbound 244/southbound 75 span.  Their nav trying to
reconcile driving the "wrong" way on the freeway is bound to cause navrage
with the folks who don't know about OSM on Garmin...