[Talk-us] Steady increase in the number of mappers in the US

Russell Deffner russdeffner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 00:07:12 UTC 2013

>Maybe we need to ask people, what got them interested in OSM and what keeps
them active. Maybe one of the activities we should undertake is to collect
that data to help develop plans go active mappers.

I'll jump in on this quickly, I first saw OSM as a background in Depiction
<http://www.depiction.com/affiliate/886/>  - went and looked at my local
area and was completely overwhelmed by how bad it was (TIGER desert to the
max).  If I had not have found OSM-Colorado
<http://www.meetup.com/OSM-Colorado/>  (I think just by searching around the
wiki, or web search) I may not have even tried to start mapping, I thought
'they' might be the answer and help me map.  That didn't happen, but more
importantly I learned how to map, and that there were people I could talk to
if I had questions.  I stay active because there is a done of mapping left
to do and I also enjoy 'stewarding' my area looking for edits by others
(especially new mappers) and reach out to invite them to the local group and
answer questions.

=Russ

russdeffner at gmail.com

russdeffner on OSM