[Talk-us] Trunk vs motorway for rural Interstates with grade crossings

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Jul 21 05:18:33 UTC 2013

The area I believe best contains the features at issue is
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=31.195401&lon=-105.525515&zoom=18

There's an onramp and nearby a track that crosses the highway, but there are
no markings on the highway and from the aerials it looks similar to one of
those places to allow emergency vehicles to turn around, except that it not
only connects the two sides it continues on away from the Interstate.

I'd go for highway=motorway.

On the other hand, a bit to the east, you've got
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/145137846 which is a bit different.
In the last changeset comment you've got the phrase "wacky at-grades" which
about sums it up. It's a strange case, is going to require a judgment call
by the mapper, and looks pretty dangerous to use.