[Talk-us] Trunk vs motorway for rural Interstates with grade crossings

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jul 22 13:25:47 UTC 2013

On Jul 22, 2013 2:42 AM, "Martin Koppenhoefer" <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 21/lug/2013, at 22:26, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
> > If it has more than an exceptionally rare at-grade junction, it should
be a trunk.  If it's not divided, it should be a trunk even if it doesn't
have at-grade junctions.

> for what it's worth, in Germany and Italy we use motorway on signposted
motorways (no grade level junctions, separated carriageways) and trunk on
highways that meet these criteria except that they are not declared
(signposted) as motorways. Otherwise they get max. primary level.

I think the only US states that do that are California and Washington.
Then again, these two states also require unusually conspicuous signage
reminding people not to smoke in a gas station forecourt and that breathing
gasoline fumes is cancerous...