[Talk-us] Best way to tag mile and interpretive markers?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 01:04:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Thomas Colson <thomas_colson at nps.gov>
> wrote:
> > Is there a preferred tagging for mile-markers? E.g. a wooden/concrete
> post
> > in the ground with the mile # on it;
> >

> highway=milestone?
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmilestone

Thomas, I'd caution against placing nodes every mile and tagging them
highway=milestone unless there's something more notable about them. Mile
markers could be computed from the length of the way and all the extra data
might not be useful.

Happy to hear others' opinions on this, though. My opinion was formed
several years ago when we talked about mile markers next to interstates
(and I can't find a link to it...).

-Ian