[Talk-us] Best way to tag mile and interpretive markers?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 08:12:18 UTC 2013

On 23/lug/2013, at 03:04, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thomas, I'd caution against placing nodes every mile and tagging them highway=milestone unless there's something more notable about them. Mile markers could be computed from the length of the way and all the extra data might not be useful.

I think it's not a problem tagging these as milestones, and there are other people already doing it around here. If there is a particular marker stone I'd use additional tags like historic to underline the significance. You can calculate the length of road segments but maybe they won't corrispond in every case with the exact position of the signs, and as you can see the markers as feature on their own they can also be mapped.

cheers,
Martin