[Talk-us] access restriction, water only: How to tag?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Jul 25 23:33:52 UTC 2013

Thomas Colson <thomas_colson at nps.gov> writes:

> I'm tagging some camp sites as "boat=yes" to imply water access only, but I
> don't think this is right. Is there a water-only access tag?

Two issues:

  access for a campsite is about the right to be there.  it's not about
  how you can get there.

  what you're really saying is not a property of the campsite, but that
  traveling over land to get there is prohibited or inadvisable, and
  that travling over water is acceptable and a good idea.

So it's almost like there shoudl be something like a ferry route on the
water, except that it isn't a ferry and showing how people often travel
in a mode that doesn't have constraints is frowned upon.

And it may be tricky where the overland path is not a good  idea but is
covered by the "you can go anywhere that isn't prohibited" rule.