[Talk-us] JuicyTrails Map and App based on OSM data released

derrick nehrenberg derricknehrenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 01:55:50 UTC 2013

Hi OSM folks,

I posted my GPS tracking and trail map app to the Google Play store today.
 I am writing because I am interested in getting some early feedback from
the OSM community, especially regarding feature requests or improvements to
the map, website, and app.

It would also be great to hear thoughts about how juicytrails can
facilitate trail mapping.

Here is the Google Play app store link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.juicytrails.juicytrailsfree&hl=en

If people like it, it would be nice to get some good reviews going...

The trail map features all kinds of dirt trails (hiking, horse, bicycle,
motorcycle, ATV, and 4WD) as well as paved footways and cycleways, all
based on OSM data. I started this project basically to fulfill my own trail
navigation needs. I have done quite a bit of OSM trail mapping myself, but
even I was shocked how many trails appeared when we turned the rendering
lights on in the USA. Denver, Boston, and California have the most mapped
trails. I have mapped quite a bit in Moab, Utah, Fruita, Durango, Crested
Butte, and Salida Colorado.

Here is our burgeoning website and map.

http://juicytrails.com/

A central goal of this project is to turn hardcopy trail maps into trail
dollars. We have actually already been doing this part of the project for a
couple years. We are working with a growing list of trail associations to
get their trails on OSM and juicytrails.com and then subsequently on
hardcopy maps which we will sell directly to trail associations for a very,
very small production fee of $.50 per map. The trail associations then sell
directly to retailers for $1.50 each, and then the retailers sell for $2.99
each, clearing $1.00 minimum per map. The hardcopy maps have download codes
used for installing offline versions of the maps into the Free Juicytrails
App. These maps have been a minor hit, and have sold extremely well in some
locations.

Thanks for reading.

derrick nehrenberg