[Talk-us] access restriction, water only: How to tag?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Jul 26 14:04:18 UTC 2013

While I can't point to an example, I believe I've seen some state park campsites that actually have a legal restriction against being accessed by land. It might be that the terrain is considered too dangerous (park does not want to assume liability for injuries), too ecologically sensitive or requires traversing private property. In those cases it does seem to me that access=water_only (or some equivalent) really does fit.

I haven't seen anything in this thread that indicates that this is the case in the original question but I don't see how one could rule out the use of an access tag altogether in all situations.


On Jul 26, 2013, at 6:12 AM, Martin Koppenhöfer wrote:

> Am 26.07.2013 um 14:17 schrieb Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com>:
>> I haven't seen sac_scale used on an area, but it seems reasonable
> -1, it is clearly thought and defined for (osm-)highways and not for an area. There are usually several possibilities where to cross an area, especially if you include difficult climbing, so I suggest to either not map any way from land to go there (and maybe put a note on the campsite for other mappers to indicate that it isn't simply not yet mapped), or if there is a climbing route(s) map these routes and add suitable tags to them.
> Cheers,
> Martin
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-us mailing list
> Talk-us at openstreetmap.org
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us

More information about the Talk-us mailing list