[Talk-us] Spammy-sounding survey sent to my OSM inbox today.

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Jul 26 22:10:13 UTC 2013

Did the OSM board approve a bulk survey activity, directed to OSM user's
inboxes?  The discussion on this survey was fairly negative a month ago,
and today it showed up in my inbox:

*padeshahekhoban*
*26 July 2013 at 21:10*
*Hello,*
*I am researching on the motivations and behaviors of OSM contributors as
my postdoc project and I would like to ask you kindly to go to the
following link that contains a short online questionnaire and help me and
the OSM community to have a better understanding of the OSM users in the
project.*
*http://en.q-set.xxx/q-set.php?sCode=XXXXXXXXX*
*Your data is going to be anonymously analyzed and therefore you are
assured of its confidentiality as well.*
*Please don't hesitate to contact me if you come across any questions or
you have some feedback.*
*Thank you in advance for your time and interest.*
*Kind regards, padeshahekhoban*

I don't see any trust metrics in this message.  How many people was it sent
to?  Is it a representative sample?  Did the board approve?  If the board
approved, why is it coming from a user rather than an
osm administrative account? I asked the poster and was told:

*This is official for a research and it has been approved and modified by
the OSM board. The results will be published and sent back to survey
participants.*
*thanks,*

I am happy to answer research questions, but would prefer it be a
broad-based, representative sample, with the basic answers available to all
researchers.  A specific research project then may answer questions on top
of the above.  And there some be some limit... perhaps once a year... once
every six months?