[Talk-us] Cemeteries in OSM?

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Jul 29 15:59:26 UTC 2013

On 7/29/2013 10:49 AM, Thomas Colson wrote:
> _Is this even an appropriate use of OSM?_ I have a cemetery mapping
>   project with LOTS of good data, pondering the best way to publish it….

  I would say - yes.  To me the considerations lie in how much data to
include: Everything on the stone?   Local information about the person?
  Additional knowledge from historians and sextons?

   On a related note, this subject came up for me a few weeks ago.  Mark
Gray had given a lightning talk on this subject at SOTM US 2010
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_U.S._2010 .  I was
thinking of starting with a single waypoint, which can be very accurate
after multiple averaging, multiple readings at different times of day,
etc.   Then using a rig for highly accurate headstone location readings
relative to the reference point, which could be converted to GeoLocation
coordinates.    I couldn't find any simple, low cost way to do this with
a quick Internet search.   Are there Smartphone apps that can do this
with the help of their accelerometer?  Some other type of hardware?