[Talk-us] Google maps source

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Jun 4 14:35:58 UTC 2013

On 6/4/13 10:26 AM, Rick Marshall wrote:
> Brian,
>
>   I have done that before.  If the road geometry is incorrect in
> OpenStreetMap due to inaccuracies with the source TIGER Files and it is
> either incorrect or non-existent on Bing, but correct on Google Maps, and
> we use bing imagery for tracing the road geometry, but Google Maps to
> discover the name of the road is it incorrect to use source=google?  You
> are not tracing a road geometry from Google Maps, but you might be using it
> for other attribute data.  Seems like the tagging should be either
> source=bing or source=google or both.

google road names are not 100% reliable and it would be bad form to
presume them correct. they sourced the original names from TIGER like
we did and have applied automagic bots which have screwed some up
the same way we did. i was just looking at a North Road which Google
is rendering as N Road a few minutes ago (i have ground surveyed that
road and North Road is correct).

a road name from TIGER 2012 is a much better choice as it avoids the
potential issues sourcing a name from Google presents. a ground
survey would always be best, of course.

richard