[Talk-us] Removing US Bicycle Route tags

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Jun 7 01:19:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM, KerryIrons <irons54vortex at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> **
>
> Adventure Cycling did not propose the USBR route numbers.  The route
> numbering system and the corridor plan came from AASHTO.  We had
> representation on the AASHTO Task Force but were only one of many members
> on that group.  You say that trying to provide a clear message to local
> jurisdictions constitutes censorship.  Based on most of the comments I have
> seen the OSM community has agreed that bicycle routes should not be tagged
> as USBRs if they are not USBRs.  Do you disagree with that consensus?

I strongly disagree that there's anything remotely resembling a consensus.
 But if it's proposed, it should be in there.  And if AASHTO is already
referring to them in proposals, I'm not sure I understand the opposition to
keeping them there except that the renderer is displaying such routes too
specifically.  Am I missing something here?  I don't see a reason to remove
what, by all accounts, appears to be active proposals already using the
numbers, from OSM when they're already tagged appropriately.  So what I'm
saying is, how can we resolve this that doesn't involve removing factual
(if only on paper) data?