[Talk-us] Tagging camp sites within campground

Tod Fitch Tod at FitchDesign.com
Thu Jun 13 23:36:29 UTC 2013

re: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=34.81433&lon=-119.1004&zoom=17&layers=M

Back in November of 2010 AM909 mapped much of the McGill
campground using amenity=parking and ref=SiteNumber to show
individual campsites. See, for example

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/988132518/history

This seems wrong to me. About like mapping each driveway
in a subdivision with a parking icon. However I have not
found a better solution on the wiki nor by searching taginfo.
The closest I've come is this discussion on the talk-ca
archives:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/2010-August/003211.html

with an example at

I like the idea of using addr:housenumber=SiteNumber but the
use of addr:city=CampgroundName as well as
addr:street=CampgroundName seems suspect to me. I think this
was done so that the location could be searched for using
geographic queries, but isn't that a bit like "tagging for
the renderer"?

What would be the best practice for this in the US?

Thanks!