[Talk-us] Parking rendering

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 14:48:15 UTC 2013

2013/6/14 Steven Johnson <sejohnson8 at gmail.com>

> To amplify what Serge said about Washington, no distinction was made for
> the behind-the-house, 1-2 vehicle private space versus large public lots.
> So if you were to look at the WashDC map, you'd be misled into thinking
> there is parking everywhere! I rather like the suggestion of addressing it
> through capacity, public/private, and access. Scale-dependent display would
> help, as well.

The access-tags for parkings already are taken into account in the current
rendering rules, so this aspect is mainly an issue of incomplete data.
+1 for taking capacity into account for rendering (to some extend this
could also be done by looking at the area size of the parking without any
capacity tags). IMHO parking nodes without capacity information (or with
low capacity) ideally shouldn't be rendered at all until very high zoom
levels to avoid cluttering.

Still for many US Cities it is also true what was said above: the city
center is composed of huge parking areas testimonial of past city
restructuration (they had torn down the historical city centers because
they were fearing riots by the then already mostly underprivileged
inhabitants that hadn't made it to move to a suburb) - admittedly this is a
bit generalized view on urban development and not valid for everywhere.

cheers,
Martin