[Talk-us] Cleaning up California FMMP "residential"

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Jun 14 22:28:50 UTC 2013

I've been doing some California landuse and have come across a lot of
landuse=residential imported from FMMP which is clearly wrong. The
landuse=residential covers entire cities, including commercial, industrial,
retail, parks, schools, golf courses, airports, and pretty much anything
within city limits.

It's hard to be certain because whatever was done doesn't match the
documentation at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/California_Farms but it
appears that data corresponding to any urban area was imported as
landuse=residential.

Given that this is a systemic problem with this imported data and the
problem originates with the import conversion, I think the best approach to
fix it is a mechanical edit. Given that the data is 1.5 years old without
being cleaned up, I believe it is the best option.

To this end, I propose removing v1 imported ways/multipolygons from FMMP
with FMMP_modified=no, FMMP_reviewed=no, landuse=residential, and either
description=other land or description=urban land, starting with ways > about
500 000 square Mercator meters (exact value subject to change).

This would be about 750 areas.

There are about 3000 smaller areas that would need dealing with later, but
it'd be nice to get the large hard to edit ones cleaned up first.