[Talk-us] [HOT] Black Forest Fire Update

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri Jun 14 23:21:38 UTC 2013

I tag landuse=forest on public and private "timber production"
polygons.  This includes national forests, yes.  It also includes at
least one state demonstration forest I am aware of near me.

I tag landuse=wood on virgin forest as well as second-growth
"forests" or visually woody land.  I do so widely on polygons which
display from visual observation (including satellite and aerial
imagery) as "largely trees, essentially undisturbed woodland areas."
I have superimposed meadows (small, medium and large) on top of
these, to visually pleasing effect (in mapnik and other renderers
alike).  Scattering among these are "what can be observed" which
sometimes become an OSM sketch of a building, road or the odd water
tower.

I have only today added two tags on some of the only essentially
undeveloped (but surrounded) parcels in my city from
landuse=residential to ALSO include a natural=wood tag.  I'm OK with
this (and admittedly, visually prefer the way mapnik tips towards a
woody-green render).  Call me guilty for coding for the renderer, but
both tags are observably true.

I'm not OK with changing the landuse=residential (it is so zoned, but
not actively used) to landuse=greenfield but I am OK with that
if/when/as a permit to develop gets approved at the City Council
level.  (Then it might properly get changed to landuse=construction
and then again beyond that).

I am not sure about the temporal aspects of how I use the map as
distinct with how those dynamics are likely different in the context
of HOT mapping.  It seems OSM just experienced a slight muddying in
Colorado.

It's a plastic map, and it does bend and even break when certain
basics aren't followed.  "Basics" might mean certain things to
certain people, but (HOT) beginners might get it mostly right.
Making mistakes on a smaller scale is how some of us learn, making
mistakes on a larger scale, while we can tolerate some of, should be
prevented if it can be.

SteveA
California