[Talk-us] GNIS?

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 23:43:02 UTC 2013

Hi Thomas,

I don't know if we/OSM have a policy for dealing with the gnis imported data.

I have been deleting all of the gnis tags except gnis:feature_id. The
justification for deleting them is that given the gnis:feature_id and
its position, the rest of the tags can be recreated from original data
source. Not sure why they were imported. Sometimes I feel like we
should not even be maintaining the gnis id. I know other mappers just
delete all of the gnis: tags when merging them with other OSM
features. I am not sure when the import was done we signed up for
maintaining the gnis:feature_id going forward for all of our points of
interest.

The gnis nodes are usually deleted and merged with another feature,
usually a building. The imported gnis node accuracy is not that great,
I have seem then several hundred yards off. Don't be afraid of moving
them if you know where the node should be with higher accuracy. Also,
if you have better elevation data, feel free to update it.

For sure, don't leave them alone.

Thanks
Jason.