[Talk-us] ref tags

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Thu Jun 20 19:15:02 UTC 2013

* Clay Smalley <claysmalley at gmail.com> [2013-06-20 09:26 -0700]:
> Also, even if it were the case that they were the same network, it makes
> sense to keep them separate because that is how the shield renderer
> determines which shield to put on the road.

My shield renderer is pretty flexible.  I can assign shields on a
ref-by-ref basis, if need be (though it means that networks' shields
require more maintenance in the long run).[0]  As long as the solution
has local consensus I'll find a way to work with it.[1]

[0] See, for example, Georgia route 515, which gets a blue sign because
    it's part of an Appalachian Highway Development System corridor:

    http://elrond.aperiodic.net/shields/?zoom=12&lat=34.66561&lon=-84.48668&layers=B

[1] Or throw up my hands and say, "I don't know how to handle that," but
    that shouldn't impede consensus.  There are still a bunch of things I
    don't have a good way to handle yet, like the way Tennessee does
    primary and secondary state highways, or the way Maryland signs
    Business US Highways.