[Talk-us] Hamlets!

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 01:01:08 UTC 2013

Great topic Serge. A lot of the hamlets in Baltimore come from platted
subdivision names, that due to extra awesome county GIS agencies that have
been around for 30+ years, were in TIGER in 2000. In my county almost every
subdivision is considered a hamlet, even the ones that are like "Walton
Property." Those are few and far between though, its mostly the platted
subdivisions in the county.

There are no incorporated places in Baltimore County and neighboring Howard
County, so there cannot be any of the higher level place=* types.

In the city of Baltimore, we have over 250 well defined neighborhoods, yet
their boundaries are defined by a planning dept., not the people per se.
Most of the neighborhoods have nodes place=suburb, but it probably should
be place=neighborhood. Since it doesn't render though, I think people
prefer not to changes.

Sometimes I'll add a landuse=residential and then copy hamlet node's info
to it.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> > On 6/21/2013 9:17 AM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> >>
> >> I realized only after last week's discussion about neighborhoods that
> >> the hamlets (which are distinct from nehighborhoods) are the things
> >> messing up the geocoder.
> >

> >   I would say not to touch any hamlets; let the locals fix them up
> > appropriately.
>
> The goal is to share our experiences with them and determine what, if
> anything, should be done.
>
> It's clear that in NYC, some of them are neighborhoods, some are
> public housing projects, some are historical, and we aren't sure what
> others are.
>
> People in other places are reporting their experiences, which seem to
> be highly localized- everything from the data is worthless, to these
> hamlets are being used to describe small communities.
>
> > Their presence doesn't hurt anything, aside from the small
> > geocoding hiccup or map not rendering optimally.
>
> The map should reflect ground reality, so unless there are hamlets in
> these places, we should strive to fix them. By sharing our
> experiences, we can have a better sense of how others are doing that,
> and we can use that to inform our local decisions.
>
> - Serge

Elliott Plack
http://about.me/elliottp