[Talk-us] what do we mean by geocoding?

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Tue Jun 25 20:59:31 UTC 2013

> Part of the reason that the USPS disavows a geographic boundary for ZIP Codes is that they often keep residential delivery and commercial delivery and high-rise delivery (having apts or suites) separate even when they are next to each other on the street.  This can be confusing if you assume a geographic basis for ZIP Codes.
>
> Carl.

I've always thought the best way to think of it is that ZIP codes are built from delivery routes. In essence they are linear features.

My favorite example is that many National Parks have a DC ZIP code, despite being.. well… a long way from DC, because mail is routed through the National Park Service headquarters.

d.