[Talk-us] Tagging a super-two highway (trunk or motorway?)

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 02:50:48 UTC 2013

A true "super two" freeway, with no at-grade intersections whatsoever,
would be properly classified as a motorway under global OSM tagging
conventions.  These may not be particularly common in the U.S.
(although they exist), but they are common enough around the world to
be consistent.

Sorta-I-93 through Franconia Notch would not technically be a super
two due to the median barrier; it's two separate one-lane motorway
carriageways under OSM tagging conventions.

IMO the first criterion I'd look for is: does this road carry the same
restrictions associated with a freeway in the state in question?  For
example, in many states, freeways have posted access restriction signs
limiting use by pedestrians, bikes, low-cc motorized vehicles, and
sometimes farm equipment.  If it does, it's a motorway, at least where
those restrictions apply.  If it doesn't, it's not.

If that fails, what is the official stance of the operator of the
route?  If it has full access control, it's a motorway.  If not, it's
not one.  This is where referring to an official state highway map
would potentially be helpful.

Then you've got the headscratchers, like US 27/280 southeast of
Columbus, Georgia, which has no at-grade access for miles because of
post-9/11 security enhancements at Fort Benning, but I don't think
technically is considered by GDOT to be a freeway and isn't posted as
one, even though I'm sure any pedestrian or cyclist using it would
enjoy a long conversation with some friendly military police officers.
 Someone (no idea who) upgraded it to freeway.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lordsutch at gmail.com>

Website: http://www.cnlawrence.com/