[Talk-us] Park Boundary tagging

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Mar 4 00:08:20 UTC 2013

I'm not sure it's useful to continue, but (ignoring wiki and existing
practice) I think of a boundary as closed line, not as an area.  Yes,
you can talk about inside and outside, but really that's it.  The notion
of "all land inside this closed way has this property" is distinct from
"this line is a boundary" (which the two-relation approach makes very
clear).  What I don't like about the boundary tag is that I don't see
any reason why "this area has property X" won't end up with
"boundary=X", and that result seems broken, especially since boundary=X
seems to be shorthand for certain tags on the area.

Probably the root of the issue is that OSM blurs closed linear features
and areas.