[Talk-us] Chicago Buildings Redux

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 22:38:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Jason Remillard
<remillard.jason at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> - The changeset source tag, shouldn't that be something like - City of
> Chicago, data set "blablabla". The github link will probably be dead
> in 5 years. You could use a website= tag on the change set for the
> github repo link.

source=* has always meant (to me at least) the actual URL or place you
obtained the data from -- similar to a citation in Wikipedia. I can add a
description mentioning the city of chicago datasets though.

> - The wiki says that you are planning on manually checking for
> overlaps with the existing buildings. If you have already done half of
> the city, then you are still going to need to check over 500,000
> buildings by hand. It seems like a lot! I am much to lazy for that. My
> code for MA is below, it does a check for existing building and looks
> for schools and airports that are not tagged correctly.
>
> https://github.com/jremillard/osm_building_import

It's not that hard when there are no buildings in the area you're trying to
merge (the majority of the city). In the areas where there are buildings it
is time consuming but I'd rather it take time than do something automated.

> Its very cool that the building data already has the addresses!

Yep, this is the main reason I'm importing the data.