[Talk-us] Questions about bsupnik's NHD OSM files

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Mar 12 06:01:44 UTC 2013

With all the address stuff I've completely dropped NHD off my plate.

I had been working on a NHD to OSM conversion and had gotten so far as to
get a Potlatch2 instance with it as a background layer, see
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2012-November/009515.html
and http://took.paulnorman.ca/potlatch2/potlatch2.html.

The NHD data model changed shortly after bsupnik wrote his conversions and
some fcodes changed. This makes using his conversions difficult.

I would welcome a review of the tagging which I am proposing, which can be
found at
https://github.com/pnorman/ogr2osm-translations/blob/us_nhd/us_nhd.py. I can
also generate a .osm file for any sub-basin (4 digit code), or extract part
of a subbasin.

ogr2osm isn't too hard to run, but compiling ogr to have .mdb support to
open up the files from the USGS is difficult, so if you want me to convert
an area let me know the bbox and sub-basin.